Friday 18 October 2013

METALLICA

Metallica: Through The Never; A Review With Carefully Annotated Spoilers So You Can Read It Even If You Haven't Watched The Film.


The title was so catchy I shortened it to the first word (without the colon) for the post title.

But yes, I'm going to review the film with carefully highlighted spoilers so that those who haven't seen it can read this. I hate spoilers more than anything, the last thing I'd want to do is hurt someone in the same way.


Before I even go into Through The Never let's think back to earlier Metallica films. And by films I'm not even going to go into the making of the Black Album (because I haven't seen it) I'm just going to write about Some Kind Of Monster, if you haven't seen it, do.

Side Note: I am sat here in the Conservatorium Van Amsterdam, enjoying the fairly priced tea whilst writing this blog post and I kid you not; there is a man at the table next to me with a white billowing shirt on, half unbuttoned, playing the lute to a gaggle of females. I know there's a classical department here but this is a whole new level. I'd take a picture to share with you all but I've not got a decent camera, if you want one, please send me a DSLR. Maybe the Canon EOS 50d. Then you'll have your photo, plus or minus a video.

Oh and on another side note. Before I get too far into this review (when it begins) I made a video of Hayden and I's time so far in Amsterdam. The video is titled 'Amsterdam'.




Coming soon: Dirk's reaction video.






Right here:





Also, I have put in my first contribution to the Heavy Metal Buffet from Amsterdam on the latest episode. Have a listen, the episode is hilarious as well. And of course some great metal:






Now to METALLICA: THROUGH THE NEVER


I was so excited to see this film. I was giddy, there were butterflies in my stomach (partially due to me eating oysters accidentally, so allergic reactions too were flurrying).

The trailer was fantastic and if you haven't seen it, or heard about the film, at least watch this before reading the rest of this post:



So yes the basic backbone of the film is constructed of two columns. Column one: The most awesome Metallica concert you could ever imagine, amazing stage, props and set list. Column two: a young roadie is sent out to pick up a package for the band and on his journey, to retrieve said package (that he's not allowed to look inside of), he finds the world outside the venue is now in an apocalyptic state. The two columns intertwine and often mirror each other with amazing visual results.


The first column: The Metallica Concert

Holy shit it is awesome.

I dream of going to a Metallica gig like that in the future. They actually did a run of eight real gigs, all sold out; and out of those they took the live performance footage and made it into Through The Never. (I'd like to mention now that within the story line the concert is described as a one off show). I just hope they will go on tour with that show now, I would pay a lot to see it. A lot more than $12,000,000 for this painting:




(If I actually had the money.. and then more to spare after paying all that for a ticket to one concert.)


That, by the way, is a painting from Lars' art collection, not the one from Some Kind Of Monster, a latter one, as he says, he is always buying and selling art "Because, um, you can't, um, own art."

Don't take Lars' or my words on it. Check out this blog, if you want to see dedication click the link to this blog that writes solely on Lars' art collection, I haven't worked out yet whether it's serious:

http://larsulrichscollection.blogspot.nl/



Sorry for the distraction.



                      And back to
                      Through The
                      Never:









Oh man, the audience that got to go to the live show for the recording of this film are some of the luckiest people. The stage itself  and the props were mind blowing. When watching it you forgot you were watching a movie, with an added story line, as you were so easily immersed in the concert. Also as the concert was performed specifically to be filmed you got to see the greatest close ups in amazing focus, never mind the fact that the whole movie was made specifically for Imax's so the visuals and 3D was stunning.




At one point I thought one of the audience members in the cinema was throwing the horns. Didn't even realise at first it was within the film.

-Although I wouldn't have been too surprised if it was an audience member, the crowd was generally, peacefully headbanging to themselves throughout.


The stage show though was amazing, and their performances were fantastic. Also, after watching that I'll be so excited to see them live again, I hope I can, as I will have a better understanding of what it's like close up from seeing the film. They had some good cameramen. I've read arguments elsewhere online that the camera work was shoddy and often not focused on anything in particular, I'd have to disagree. They captured the atmosphere perfectly, which is more than just getting the nice focus shots and filming every second of the solo from multiple angles. It's about getting those wider shots, the ones that have little going in, the areas your eyes move to when your watching a live show, greedily trying to absorb the whole stage and venue in. Also everyone in the band looked to be properly enjoying themselves, which I'm not surprised anyway, the venue was full and the fans sing along throughout. And then a few more singing along in the cinema.

Also, I've trawled through so many comments on "blackheads" "saliva" and more. Why do people criticise that like it's a bad thing. It's not metal when it tries to airbrush it and make it pretty. Musicians spit on stage. They filmed real concerts with real performances. You should embrace all the aspects of that. Not complain when the realness of it offends you.


To the second column: The story of the Roadie.





Dane Dehaan plays Trip, one of the roadies for the band who is sent out on an errand during the show. Which is a shame because he is obviously one of Metallica's greatest fans. Dehaan is a great actor, I'd already seen him before in A Place Beyond The Pines and, one of the greatest found footage films to date Chronicle (go see it).

By the way the spoilers are highlighted so just scroll down to the plain old black on white and you'll be fine.

BEGINNING OF SPOILERS:

Ok, so the film's premise is two story lines, and I can talk about the stage show in general quite a lot without revealing spoilers, however I think Trip's journey, is one that those who haven't seen the film yet, should know little about.

He takes a pill, drives the van past a red light, subsequently is crashed into, then carries on his errand by foot, and soon walks into a confrontation between rioters and police. This is only the beginning of the nightmare, before things start to become even more inexplicable and by that I mean the horseman... and I suppose the puppet from the truck.

So the horseman is awesome, he is cool and mean and a total ass. Who's side is he on? Who's side is anyone on in this world? It's the apocalypse and it teaches us that during a Metallica concert anything, anything, could be going on outside but as long as they don't teeter into Lulu everything. is. fine.


I suppose, rather than dissect in any great detail the story that unfolds for the roadie, I ended up wondering about what is real and what is not? Before he even leaves the venue he pops a pill. Call me ignorant but I didn't know what that was, and I suppose the film makers (hiyi Metallica) don't want you to know either, the same way I suppose they don't want you to know what's in that bag. Which is an over used cliche. Tarantino nailed it Pulp Fiction, why pick this up again? Especially when Trip finally does get the bag and looks into it he looks completely horrified by it's contents. Which makes Metallica seem almost seedy. Then I think - is this the band's greatest joke in the film? They want to have that metal edge, they could be capable of all evil and it could be in that bag, but you will never know. I don't know Metallica. Answer me please.

But yeah, the roadie, the possible trip, the possible concussion, the possibility that everything that happened is in fact real. Whatever it was it all ended when he got Mjölnir's hammer and went Thor-style bad ass all over that evil rider. Thanks Trip and thanks voodoo puppet that I got overly emotionally attached to during the film.

I have a feeling perhaps we're not meant to fully understand Trip's story line.



END OF SPOILERS.


Look at Lars' approval.

So this was my review on Metallica: Through The Never and my summary is:

Go watch Metallica: Through The Never, even if you aren't a Metallica fan. It is, in essence, a Metallica concert with glimpses of another story line mirroring the songs. However, if you are not a fan, do not let that put you off. Metallica have done something no band has done to date; they have made an amazing piece of cinema of the most awesome gig. They have successfully captured themselves in a stunning film that will remain for all time. I thoroughly enjoyed this film and will buy it as soon as it's on DVD to watch again. Even without the whole Imax experience (which they nailed). I am pleased that Metallica found a new way in which to reach people with music and have the balls to have tried something completely different. Although I would have enjoyed more music from Death Magnetic, one song was not enough.

Plus the best part of the entire film is when Trip comes into contact with each band member at the very start. Metallica. Gold. (Ecstasy of).


To sum it up in an even shorter fashion, Hayden Hook, ladies and gentlemen:

"What I liked about it was that no matter how many concerts you watch you'll never see one in such detail... It was like a cinematic concert"

He says more:

"Metallica are definitely the first band to actually film a full concert in such a cinematic way. The film is the concert and a story. You're never going to get that view point of the band on stage from just a tour DVD."

Thank you Hayden. And thank you for reading this blog post. I hope you go out and see Metallica: Through The Never, and if you have already, feel free to discuss further any ideas from this blog. 



And finally an image proving James Hetfield is indeed the Master:








Thanks to:
http://www.metalhammer.co.uk 
http://larsulrichscollection.blogspot.nl/ 
http://deanoworldtravels.files.wordpress.com 
www.joblo.com 
http://www.blabbermouth.net 

No comments:

Post a Comment